Friday, November 21, 2014

Contributing in Project UbuntuNewbie

Dear developers and normal users,

You must be aware of a recent Project that I have endeavoured to bridge the gaps between developers and users. A project was launched. You can follow this on

https://plus.google.com/104023546235902969368/

https://launchpad.net/bridging-gaps

I am glad to announce the completion of my first video. I have published it under my own account rather than UbuntuNewbie because I did not want to impose the video onto people. Hence, I am open to comments. Once I get some opinions on that from you, I will make it official by posting it with the UbuntuNewbie profile on YouTube.


Until then, here is a full set of instructions for how you can contribute to the project.

For people who use Launchpad

I guess that all the developers are more comfortable using Launchpad more than google plus. Hence, I have divided the workload accordingly. This part of the contribution requires that you have an idea of all the sub-sections of Ubuntu like Ubuntu-on-air, Ubuntu QA, Ubuntu community council etc. And this is known mostly to the developers. Hence you can do that. Go to the bridging-gaps launchpad page and to the list of blueprints. There is a exhaustive-list-dev where all the ways you can contribute to Ubuntu and all the facilities are listed.The list is incomplete. So, please put all the ways you can contribute in the work items. An example item going into the list would be Ubuntu Classroom. Or Contributing ideas in Launchpad. (which I realized just now during the chat). That is the reason why I need your input on that because i don't know all the things to do with ubuntu.

Then there are individual items which need a few pre-requisites. These are listed in the individual blue prints. For example, get into translations blueprint. There in the work item, you can find out that there is a work item called "configuring a foreign keyboard". But, you also have to go into Launchpad for giving the actual contributions. So, a new work item would be "intro to launchpad". Get even the most silly things you can ever think of. Because they are silly because you know them. And we don't. I found that Rodney Dawes told me that we could show the mail sent in the mailing list via a link. Me being an avid user of the internet did not know this. Hence my point.

I have already tried telling you before and it was herehere and here. But never mind, it is never too late.

 For normal users

This is for people who do not use Launchpad. New topics, videos and scripts will be posted on the UbuntuNewbie community. Please comment or better, make new scripts, topics etc and post it or google+ in either Ubuntu Community or simply tag them to me at +Aveem Ashfaq or +UbuntuNewbie or videos or mail me at aveemashfaq@gmail.com I will be posting requirements on the websites. So, make sure you follow +UbuntuNewbie  I just hope people would be enthusiastic about this.

No comments:

Post a Comment